Executive Firings: What’s Behind Hollywood’s Season Of The Witch Hunt (analysis)

our editor recommends NBCU Shake-up: What’s Next at Universal? (Analysis) This story first appeared in the Oct. 11 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. Hollywood executives aren’t an endangered species — yet. More than at any time in years, it’s open season on movie moguls. Amid skyrocketing costs and a sea change in how people consume entertainment, a sense of panic seems to have enveloped corporate CEOs, financiers and shareholders. Even as the global box office hit a summer record in both admissions and revenue, top execs are being picked off at an alarming pace. Beginning in early 2012, the current wave of firings and executive suite reshuffling hit Disney first, as chairman Rich Ross exited under the cloud of megabomb John Carter. Then Fox co-chief Tom Rothman was shown the door. The town knew an overhaul was coming at Warner Bros., where a three-executive “bake-off” drama was taking place, but when Kevin Tsujihara got the top job and TV chief Bruce Rosenblum and film head Jeff Robinov soon left, it was no less cataclysmic. More recently, the ax suddenly fell at Universal and Sony. Focus Features CEO James Schamus was abruptly dismissed Wednesday and replaced by FilmDistrict’s Peter Schlessel. Paramount on Tuesday announced it would lay off 110 employees, but so far its top execs have been spared. PHOTOS: Executive Firings: Hollywoods Season of the Witch Hunt Such frenzies of upheaval seem to pop up periodically in the movie business. For instance in 1984, when Paramount’s corporate boss Martin Davis forced out Barry Diller and Michael Eisner because he was jealous of all the attention they were getting for their success, it triggered a domino effect that led to big changes at Fox and Disney.

Hollywood treatment for Pele

View gallery Brazilian soccer star and former Cosmos player Pele waves to the crowd before the New York Cosmos game August 3, 2013 at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York. (AFP Photo/Don Emmert) 1 hour ago Rio de Janeiro (AFP) – The story of how Pele conquered the footballing world aged just 17 is coming to Hollywood with filming under way in Rio de Janeiro, Seine Pictures said Thursday. The film, entitled simply, “Pele”, “tells the wonderful story of the rise to glory of the legendary player,” said the US company, which is producing the work with Imagine Entertainment. Pele, 72, born Edson Arantes do Nascimento and nicknamed O Rei (the king), is widely considered the greatest player of all time having helped Brazil to their first World Cup title in 1958 and then having triumphed again with an all-star ensemble in 1970. Brazilian singer “Seu Jorge” (Jorge Mario da Silva), Mexican actor Diego Boneta and Irish screen idol Colm Meaney are in the cast for a film written and directed by brothers Michael and Jeff Zimbalist. Brazilians Kevin de Paula and Leonardo Lima Carvalho play the young Pele, respectively between the ages of 13 and 17 and aged 10. Meaney will play George Raynor, who coached Sweden in the 1958 final when Pele announced his arrival as a global star. Seine is negotiating rights with Sports Licensing International, which represents Pele. Filming began in Rio last Monday, the producers said. Born on October 23, 1940 to a poor provincial family, Pele was also on the squad which won the 1962 World Cup — though he missed much of that tournament through injury — and scored more than 1,000 goals in his career. He spent the twilight of his playing days helping to popularise soccer in the United States with New York Cosmos. FIFA proclaimed him player of the century in 2000 and a year beforehand the International Olympic Committee voted him athlete of the century. Arts & Entertainment